If you think that the City of Baltimore or one of its employees injured you or your property, you may send us a claim.
- You must send a written claim to the City Law Department.
- You may hand deliver the claim or you may send it by certified mail – return receipt requested.
- You cannot send it by regular mail.
- The City Law Department must receive your claim within 180 days from the date of injury.
- You may use the claim form prepared by the Law Department. You can get a copy of the claim form by clicking below. You do not have to use this form.
- You must include in the claim:
- the date of the injury
- who was involved
- where it occurred and
- a brief explanation
- An investigator from the Central Bureau of Investigation in the Law Department will investigate the claim
- When the investigator completes his/her investigation, he/she will advise you of the decision.
The steps listed above are steps you may follow to file a complaint with the Law Department. The Law Department is not giving you legal advice. If you think you need legal advice, you should hire your own attorney.