The Bellona-Gittings Historic District is a suburban neighborhood located in northeastern Baltimore City, with a third of the district extending into Baltimore County. Although the district reaches into both jurisdictions, the district is internally cohesive. The district is bound on the west by properties located on the eastern side of Charles Street, to the south primarily by E. Lake Avenue including properties at the south end of Meadowood Road. The district is bound to the east by Bellona Avenue from E. Melrose Avenue to Gittings Avenue (including Hollen Road and Fernway) and York Road north of Gittings Avenue running north into Baltimore County, where it is bounded to the east by houses on the east side of Pinehurst Road. Overbrook and Midhurst roads are the district’s northern boundaries in Baltimore County. Dwellings within the district were constructed from 1853 to 1956 and demonstrate a wide variety of architectural styles, including French Revival, Dutch Colonial, Tudor Revival, Gothic Revival, Cape Cod Revival, Colonial Revival, and Monterey. Secondary structures, mainly garages, constructed in the early 20th century are often detached but reflective of the style of the main house. The neighborhood is primarily residential, with only one historically commercial building. Despite the fact that the district extends into two jurisdictions, the layout of the roads and the character of its housing create a cohesive and distinct district which is architecturally significant.
Statement of Significance
The Bellona-Gittings Historic District is significant for its association with the suburbanization of Baltimore in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and the variety of architectural styles represented that are reflective of the period of suburbanization at the turn of the twentieth century. The district flourished as a result of its access to convenient transportation – first the railway system along York Road established in 1863 and later the paving of nearby roadways, providing convenient automobile access into the City. The district is characterized by well-maintained dwellings representing over a century of various period revival styles fronting on tree-lined, curvilinear streets. The architecture and landscape are reflective of the Olmstedian influence on the neighborhood, which can be seen in nearby neighborhoods developed by the Roland Park Company. The Bellona-Gittings neighborhood was developed in three phases by Philip E. Lamb through the Blenheim Reality Company. Lamb was an attorney who had previously developed the Cedarcroft neighborhood. The cohesive architectural and landscape elements within the Bellona-Gittings Historic District are significant features of this turn-of-the-century, suburban neighborhood.