Baltimore City Historic District Ordinance 10465 6/15/67, 99-1143, 12/06/99
National Register of Historic Places 9/17/71
Certified Historic District for Tax incentives (NR)
Bolton Hill is one of Baltimore's handsomest and best-maintained in-town neighborhoods. With block after block of relatively intact structures from the middle to late nineteenth century, it retains a strong Victorian-era, traditional row house character. This residential community encompasses approximately 170 acres in the central northwest section of the city. The character of its streets is set by the groups of three story red brick houses (eight to fifteen buildings per group) with white marble steps, and traditional flat facades accentuated by ornamentation around doors, windows and the roofline.
These rows of townhouses are interspersed with larger, more elaborate, eclectic houses built in the late 1890s and early 1900s. Seven churches, small parks, a few schools and institutional buildings and some monuments make up the remainder of the built environment. Few intrusions exist in the area, but there are some groups of townhouses and mid-rise apartment buildings constructed in the 1960s and 1970s. Among Monument, Marlbough Apartments, Eutaw Place Temple, Hawley-Hutzler House, Maryland Institute of Art, Mount Royal Station, Corpus Christi Church, Family and Children's Society, and the Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument.
Bolton Hill, originally called the Mount Royal neighborhood is significant for its fine late nineteenth century architecture and its relationship to the many significant people that have lived in its community. Architecturally, it includes some of the finest traditional rowhouses in Baltimore, as well as, some of the City's largest and most ornate mansion houses, especially on Eutaw Place.
Many of the larger structures have been designed by important local and out of state architects, including Baldwin and Pennington; Joseph Evans Sperry; Edmund Lind; Parker, Thomas and Rice; Pell and Corbett; and Patrick Charles Keely.
Bolton Hill is also notable for some fine park spaces. Eutaw Place and the 1600-1700 blocks of Park Avenue retain much of their original Victorian character, while the park space surrounding the Confederate monument on Mount Royal Avenue has been modernized. Many of the more recent townhouses retain the urban character of the neighborhood and also have added some public common spaces for the community.
Historically, some of Baltimore's most famous citizens have lived in Bolton Hill including: the Cone Sister, famous art collectors; F. Scott Fitzgerald, author; Alger Hiss, spy(?); Ottmar Mergenthaler, inventor of linotype, and Gary Moore, TV entertainer.