Tutor a Child
Volunteer Opportunity Description
You can increase life opportunities for at-risk, low-income elementary school children by providing one-on-one literacy tutoring to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade students who are reading below their grade level. The evidence is clear that a student’s reading proficiency at the end of third grade is a strong predictor of his or her academic success in subsequent grades and graduation from high school.
Tutoring requires absolutely no experience, and our tutors range from high school students to retirees.
- Willingness to learn about tutoring strategies
- Patience working with students who need help learning
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse groups
- Ability to commit to a schedule and show up promptly when expected
Days and Times Needed
In order to advance in reading skills, the student you tutor needs as little as one hour per week with you. You can choose any one-hour period from 9am to 5pm, Monday through Thursday.
You can serve as a literacy tutor at one or more of the following schools:
- Cherry Hill Elementary/Middle School located at 801 Bridgeview Road, Baltimore, MD 21225
- Callaway Elementary located at 3701 Fernhill Ave., Baltimore, MD 21215
- Westport Elementary located at 2401 Nevada St., Baltimore, MD 21230
- Edgecombe Circle Elementary located at 2835 Virginia Ave, Baltimore, MD 21215
If you are interested in volunteering, click here to send your information.