Government & Civil Services

How do I get a marriage license?

Marriage licenses are handled by the Circuit Court of Baltimore City:

Circuit Court of Baltimore City Room 628
Clarence M. Mitchell, Jr. Courthouse
100 North Calvert St.
Baltimore, Maryland 21202

Phone: 410-333-3780

City agency
Circuit Court
How do I get a library card?
Anyone who lives or owns property in Maryland is eligible for a free Pratt Library card!
City agency
Enoch Pratt Free Library
How do I join the Baltimore City Fire Department?

All Inquiries should be directed to the Baltimore City Fire Department’s Community Outreach, Recruitment and Education Division located at 401 E. Fayette Street 6th. fl. (443-984-3878 or 443-984-2632), email

How can I request a ceremonial document?

You can request a Mayoral Citation or Mayoral Proclamation by calling the Mayor's Constituent Call Center at 410-396-4900 or by submitting a Citation & Proclamation Request form that is available online.

Where can I find information about City services?

Contact the City's One Call Center by dialing 311 or visit the online Baltimore 311.

City agency
Information Technology
Where can I find information about DPW events?
Call 311 or follow us on Facebook or Twitter. You can also call the DPW Communications and Community Affairs office at 410-545-6541.
City agency
Public Works
How do I request City services?

Call 311, the City's One Call Center, or go to 311 Online to request service. 

City agency
Information Technology
How can I contact my elected official?

A list of elected officials and their contact information is available online.

City agency
City Council
How do I apply for positions in the Baltimore City Public School System?

Contact the Baltimore City Public Schools System Recruitment Office to obtain information:

200 E. North Avenue, Room 110,
Baltimore, MD 21201

City agency
Public Schools
I am interested in becoming a Baltimore City Police Officer. How do I apply?

To apply for uniform positions within the Baltimore City Police Department contact the Police Department Recruitment Office at (410) 396-2340, (877) PRIDEPD (777-9979).

City agency
Police Department
Where can I find the Planning Commission Agendas?

The Planning Commission generally meets twice per month, and agendas are available 1-2 weeks prior to the scheduled meeting.The Planning Commission in its current form dates back to a revision of the City Charter in 1947. At that time, the Charter stipulated that the Commission would be a nine-member board composed of: six citizens appointed by the Mayor,the Director of the Department of Public Works or his designee, a member of the City Council, and the Mayor or his representative. 

City agency
What are the development requirements for building in Baltimore City?

The Development Guidebook outlines the development process for all who are interested in investing in Baltimore City, including developers, engineers, architects and property owners.

City agency
Who is the Community Planner for my area of Baltimore City?

Comprehensive Planners are assigned to geographic sections (planning districts). Each planner is intimately involved in, and aware of planning initiatives, the Capital Improvement Program, and its role in implementing the plans developed for their district.

City agency
Where can I find different maps of Baltimore?

CityView is the City of Baltimore’s public mapping portal that provides information on a series of topics of interest for its citizens, visitors, researchers, and business community. This site is updated with refreshed data and new layers on a frequent basis. 

City agency
Information Technology
How do I get a park permit?

Baltimore City Recreation and Parks issues three types of Park Use Permits for events.

  1. Special Events: Public or private events with more than 250 people or amplified sound.
  2. Inner Harbor Event: For all events to be held at Inner Harbor venues.
  3. Private Events: Not open to the public with attendance of less than 250 people.

**Please use the proper application that corresponds to your event type.

City agency
Recreation and Parks
Where do I go if I need help finding a job?

The Mayor's Office of Employment Development (MOED) provides City residents with customized job search resources to help them reach their individual career goals. Job seekers come from diverse backgrounds and have varied occupational interests. Through a network of career centers and integrated employment programs, thousands of citizens every year access training and career counseling services, and job placement assistance.

I have a criminal record. Where do I go to start or build a career?

The Northwest One-Stop Career Center, located in suite 302 at Mondawmin Mall, is one of three one-stop career centers that provide employment assistance to Baltimore citizens. The Northwest One-Stop Career Center is unique because it houses the Re-entry Center specializing in employment and other transition services for those returning from incarceration.

Are there job fairs or other events to help with employment?

Occasionally, MOED partners with employer(s) to host job fairs or other hiring events. Visit our Events web page to see scheduled events.

Does the City offer GED classes?

Yes. Please visit one of the three one-stop career centers located near you.

How do I find or how does my child register for a summer job?

Online pre-registration is conducted for YouthWorks summer jobs from beginning of January through the middle of March preceding each summer.

What employment services do you offer for businesses?

The Mayor’s Office of Employment Development (MOED) coordinates and directs workforce development initiatives responsive to the needs of Baltimore City employers and job seekers in order to enhance and promote the local economy. 

I receive Social Services. Where can I find employment resources?

MOED's Workforce Reception Center is a full-service career center specifically for Baltimore residents who receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) benefits. The WRC helps move people from welfare to work by offering job search and placement assistance and enrolling participants in its supported work experience programs (community service and transitional employment) and other training and support service programs including, job readiness seminars and “dress for success” workshops. (Services are offered only by referral from the Baltimore City Department of Social Services.)

How does CitiStat work?

The Office of CitiStat is a small, performance-based management group responsible for continually improving the quality of services provided to the citizens of Baltimore City. CitiStat evaluates policies and procedures practiced by City departments for delivering all manners of urban services from criminal investigation to pothole repair.

Can I visit CitiStat?
How do I apply to be a Baltimore City Youth Commissioner?

Baltimore City Youth Commissioners are appointed by the Mayor and City Council. Members of the Youth Commission represent the 14 council districts. To become a Youth Commissioner, you'll need to contact the Mayor's Office by emailing Sabrina Sutton.

City agency
Youth Commission