Property, Housing, Development

How can I get a copy of the deed to my property?

The Liber and Folio numbers are needed to look up your deed. These numbers can be obtained from the Baltimore City’s Property Location Office,

401 E. Fayette St, Ste. 101
Baltimore, Maryland  21202
Fax: 410-576-8310


Next, you must visit the Baltimore City Land Records Office to obtain a copy of your deed:

Clarence M. Mitchell Courthouse, 6th floor,
110 N. Calvert Street,
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
Phone: 410-333-3760

Whom should I contact if I want to donate property to Baltimore City?

Contact the Baltimore City Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) to determine if the agency is interested in acquiring the property for one of its community development projects. The number is 410-396-4121. If the property does not fall within one of HCD’s targeted development areas, there are a number of non-profit organizations that might be interested in acquiring the property.

How can I locate emergency shelters?

Many City buildings are designated as emergency shelters, but not all will be operating during an emergency. Please tune into the news (WBAL 1090 AM radio is our primary alerting partner) or check our Facebook and Twitter pages to find the closest, open shelter.

City agency
Office of Emergency Management
Who can I contact if I am having an issue with my landlord or an issue with my tenant?

Whether you are a tenant or a landlord, when you sign a lease agreement, you sign a contract. You are contractually obligated to perform certain duties and assume certain responsibilities. You are also granted certain rights and protections under the lease agreement. Contact Baltimore Neighborhoods, Inc at 1-800-487-6007. They can help you understand these rights and protections

Does the City offer discounts if I pay my property taxes early?

Yes, there is a 0.5% discount of the City Tax if the bill is paid by July 31.

City agency
What are my options if I cannot afford to pay my property tax bill?

The City does not enter into payment agreements for real estate taxes. The City accepts partial payments that will be credited to your tax bill, but your bill must be paid in full before December 31 of the year the bill was issued. If your bill is not paid in full, your property is at risk for inclusion in the tax sale in May of the following year.

City agency
What do I do if I overpaid my property taxes by accident?

Send a written request to the Revenue Accounting Section, 200 Holliday Street, Room 3, Baltimore, MD 21202. Make sure to include on your request your account number, proof of payment, and if you prefer to receive a refund check or would like the funds transferred to another account. If you would like the funds transferred to another account, make sure to include the type of account and account number where the funds are to be directed.

City agency
What property assistance or incentives are available to first time home buyers?

The City does not offer any tax incentives specifically for first time home buyers but a comprehensive list of all City property tax credits can be found on the tax credit section A valuable resource for new buyers in Baltimore is the Live Baltimore Home Center located at

343 N. Charles St
Baltimore, MD 21201

City agency
Housing Authority of Baltimore City
What is the homestead tax credit?

The homestead tax credit program was designed to limit the amount of the annual increase in taxable assessments for eligible owner occupied properties. The program dates back to the late 1970’s, a period of rapid escalation in property values. State law requires each Maryland local government to establish a limit on how much owner occupied residential taxable assessments may increase each year. The program protects homeowners from increases in taxable assessment above the level established by local law, or 10%, if no local action is taken. In the early 1990’s, the City established the annual cap at 4% and it continues to be set at 4% today. The credit is applied against the taxes due on the portion of the reassessment exceeding the 4% homestead cap. The credit is applied directly to the property owner’s tax bill.

City agency
How do I change my mailing address for my real property tax bills and any other bills?

To change your mailing address on the Real Property File for tax bills you should send a written request to the City’s Department of Transportation Property Location Section, 401 E Fayette Street, Suite 101, Baltimore, MD 21202, email: or fax to 410-576-8310. Requests must be submitted by the owner or authorized agent for the owner and include the address or block & lot of the property in question, new mailing address, signature of owner or authorized agent and phone number. 

Supporting documentation must accompany the request for the authorized agent.  To Contact the Property Location Section, you may call them at 410-396-3800. 

You can find mailing address change request forms on the Department of Transportations website: 

Changes to the Water Bill will need to be submitted to Department of Public Works Water Billing Section at 200 Holliday Street, Room 404, Baltimore, MD  21202 or through email at You can contact them at 410-396-5398.

If the property is subject to any annual Registrations you will need to contact the Department of Housings Registration Office at 410-396-3575 or 

City agency
Where can I find Real Property Plats?

Real Property Block Plats are based on block and lot numbers that are the basis for the City property tax assessment system. Block Plats can therefore be found on the Department of Finance web page and are searchable by street address, owner, or block and lot number.

City agency
Where can I find out more about Baltimore City and the census?

The US Census of population takes place every 10 years and includes population data for the City. It can be broken down by census tract, block group and is now available on a neighborhood level. Census data is also available in the form of GIS Maps.

City agency
Who is the Community Planner for my area of Baltimore City?

Comprehensive Planners are assigned to geographic sections (planning districts). Each planner is intimately involved in, and aware of planning initiatives, the Capital Improvement Program, and its role in implementing the plans developed for their district.

City agency
Where can I find different maps of Baltimore?

CityView is the City of Baltimore’s public mapping portal that provides information on a series of topics of interest for its citizens, visitors, researchers, and business community. This site is updated with refreshed data and new layers on a frequent basis. 

City agency
Information Technology
Where is my closest recreation center?

There are 38 recreation centers for your enjoyment and leisure activities throughout Baltimore. Each center offers a wide array of programs for children and adults. Some of the programs include relay games, movie days, cooking classes, talent shows, theatre productions, arts and crafts and gym activities. Some of the gym activities include, but are not limited to basketball, volleyball, soccer and weight training.

City agency
Recreation and Parks
What voting district do I live in?

Baltimore city has 14 city council districts.

City agency
City Council
Where is my nearest library branch?
The Enoch Pratt Free Library is one of the oldest free public library systems in the United States. The Pratt has branches to serve the residents of Baltimore throughout the city.
City agency
Enoch Pratt Free Library